Too Cool for Internet Explorer

Tuesday, November 15, 2005


Firefox 1.5 - Usable for me now

Maybe you have read that I was not pleased by the actual status of Flock yet. I was still sticking to the last stable version of Firefox (1.0.7)
Yesterday I once more downloaded the latest version of the 1.5 branch of Firefox, to check which extensions are available for it already.

Still, the main problem are the greasemonkey scripts, because those have often been written by people that are not into the extension-writing anymore. That is why most of the useful scripts I used for Gmail, Bloglines or Flickr don't work at the moment. But with version 0.6.3 of greasemonkey more than the last time I checked.

All other extensions I use for better browsing behaviors seem to have been updated already or there are other/newer extensions which do almost the same or even more or better.
And I even removed some other extensions without replacing them, because I had to notice, that I haven't used them at all in the last months and did not even know that those were still installed.

my actual extensions list

As you can see, the only extension (I use, of course) that is not available right now, is the Google Pagerank thingy. A neat feature, but nothing I can't live without.

The sad thing is that I have to say, I did not recognize too many features new in Firefox 1.5. Okay, it seems that the whole engine is a bit faster and the menus are nicer to look at, but that is all.
I have to say, that I did not read anything about what had been (or will be) changed in 1.5 and what the big differences are or why there had to be all the internal changes you can't see but recognize because all the extensions had to be recoded.

That is why it makes not too much difference to me, if I use 1.5 or 1.0.7 since I have all features again I had in the old version, too. (Except the Google Pagerank, of course.)

But, what I also have to say, Firefox is still, and hopefully will be, the best browser available on any OS and at the moment I am willing to get a new version whenever it is needed, because I believe that it never will do me any harm.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Bookmark this on Del.icio.us
posted by madhatter @ 1:47 PM


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home